Haiti. Part three.

Posted: August 24, 2010 in Haiti Mission Trip

Wednesday morning we woke up and once again did the morning routine. Eat breakfast, have devotions, get dressed for the oncoming day. I think it was Wednesday that was wash day for all of our clothes that had gotten dirty so far but I can’t remember for sure. We were having VBS again today. But since we had already gone through the hassle of it once. We were more prepared on how to do it again. The volleyball “net” was raised and the doors to the church were opened. Everything went pretty identical to the day before and as smoothly as was expected. Once again, getting kids of any country to do things in unison and orderly is difficult. To be doing it with only a couple of translators inside a different country is outrageously hard. They wouldn’t listen or sit still. Which is fine when they are playing volleyball. Not so much when people are trying to organize crafts.

The heat inside the church building sapped one’s energy. Keeping up with the motions of the VBS songs and the energy of all the children was a sweaty affair. Water bottles were everywhere as our team kept draining the five gallon bottles of water we had provided for us inside the orphanage’s cafeteria. The puppets were again raised above the blue tarp that was serving as a partition to block the puppeteer from view. We talked about anger and how to control it. I don’t know if the kids understood the lesson or not. The whole idea of yelling out your anger didn’t seem like something we should be teaching these kids in a third world country. Sure it’s better to yell out your anger rather than hit somebody. But I couldn’t help but think that these kids would now just yell and hit their offender. It’s the intention that counts though right?

There were some new salvations. That was cool. It was the whole reason we came down. I don’t think we’ll ever know if those kids will follow-up on what they raised their hand for inside that hot church building, but we planted a seed. That’s something that can be hoped and prayed for to grow.

After VBS was over, the orphanage staff wanted to give everybody who attended a free lunch. Well, instantly we had another problem. People tried to rush through the gate to get to the food. Once again we were doing crowd control, trying to keep everybody calmed down and in an orderly line so that each would be able to get something. Thank goodness for the translators because they helped us so much in getting everybody into an acceptable crowd that was manageable. Everyone was yelling in creole. There were many times that I’m sure I didn’t want to know that they were saying.

Eventually, everyone was filtered through the tiny gate from the church courtyard into the orphanage grounds to receive their food. Which we eventually ran out of and had to hand out more candy from our bags. They didn’t seem to mind though, in fact, they were probably more excited as candy was seen far less than chicken and rice which what was being served.

VBS was over, at least for the time being, and it came as a relief to me if not anybody else. Those poor kids were fun, but man were they a handful. The wonderous part about them though was that here they were, being raised in one of the worst places in the world at the time, and they laughed and smiled just as much as or more than any other kid in the world. That’s without their video games, t.v.s, iPods, and cellphones. These kids had life and that was all they needed. This is something that we just don’t see here in America. Everything is so defined by what we have, what we do, what we are being entertained with, and when we are going to be entertained next. The media is what makes our lives here. In Haiti, it is the people. The people’s character is what the atmosphere is. It is what makes Haiti so full of life and not fake like our lives here in America are.

The rest of the day was spent resting. I think we may have had plans to go somewhere after VBS but due to transportation issues, indecision, and the island time of Haiti it was let go. When we first got there we were planning on doing a street ministry in front of the police station, and we kept trying to organize it the whole trip, but each time it fell through. We did things that we hadn’t planned on doing at all and skipped things that were in the agenda for months. The schedule definitely kept you on your toes, and got on your nerves.

We chilaxed and played with the orphan kids for the rest of the day. Routine trips to get water were taken and more filtered water was brought back, safe for us to drink. We went through about eighty gallons of water a day.

Night fell over Haiti’s Port-au-Prince with forty-six extra Americans sleeping in it walls.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s